Goals for this week:
Finish rigging the main tentacle rig. Help attach the hair and mustache.
What I got done:
- I finished rigging the tentacle. I added a lot of control similar to Evans rig that was given to our team as example of a tentacle rig. The main body of the tentacle rig has Ik and Fk controls. It has the ability to stretch. It also has a sine deformer. I attempted to have Ik and Fk controls for moving the tentacle fingers individually and together. I could not get that to work so therefore the individual tentacle fingers have Ik controls and individual sine deformers. For moving the tentacles together the rig has Ik and Fk controls. Finally the tentacle fingers can twist together.
- I also met with some people from the team to have a “emergency mustache meeting”. After different attempts to get the hair to follow the rig correctly we found that binding the head and mustache cap to the rig was the
- Get the animators to look over the tentacle rig.
- Fix any issues with the tentacle rig.
- Begin rigging the shoggoth.
This week most of my time was taken up working on the clothing. The whole team decided to use marvelous designer to create the clothing. The team met to go over the clothing and what type of detail should be added. The biggest hassle was getting the clothing to work with the character rigs. After many different attempts binding , and fixing the clothing I was able to get the clothing to work for Danforth. Currently I am in the middle of getting the clothing to work with dyers rig.
Pros: Finished making the clothing
Cons: It took too long to get the clothing to work with the character rigs.
In addition to working on the clothing I prepared myself for rigging the shoggoth. I broke down and remade an example of a tentacle rig that was made by Evan Boucher.
Pros: I can start rigging the shoggoth.
- Start rigging the shoggoth
Rigging Dyers Face
This week I finished up rigging dyers face. I ran into no errors when rigging his face. His face was straight forward to rig but very time consuming and tedious. Gabe did come across an issue with danforths rig, luckily I was able to fix the issue fast.
Pros: Finished facial rigging! ( until an issue appears)
I decided to help create a first draft of the clothing in marvelous designer . Compared to modeling in Maya, it did not take too long to create the clothing. This week I am going to work with val and whoever else in creating the clothing.
Pros: Marvelous designer is awesome
Cons: A lot needs to be done to finish the clothing.
For next week:
: Rigging the shoggoth
: Help with clothing
Rigging Dyer and Danforths Face.
This week I continued on rigging both of the faces. I spent a lot of time battling dyers weights because mirroring was not working correctly. Luckily I was able to fix the issue today. Now all I need to do is race to finish up dyers face rig. I finished Danforths face rig. I added a lot of controls to his face because he expresses a lot of emotion in the story.
Positives: Danforth`s face is finished and I was able to fix the issue with Dyer.
Negative: Dyers weighting issue took up a lot of time.
Rigging the Face
- Summary: Over the break and the first week of class I worked on rigging the face of dyer and danforth. I was able to get pretty far on both. Right now I am in the middle of rigging the mouth for danforth and dyer.
- Negatives. Over the break me and Val had issues trying to get the eyebrows to follow the geo deformation. Luckily we figured out a solution. As well dyers weights got weird and would mirror correctly. Me and gabe tried to fix it but had no luck.
- Positives: A lot of the facial rigging was finished. If things go smooth this week I might have an extra day to fit in finer controls into the rig.
Hours ( including break) . 40 + hours
We made it to our final presentation! Hoorah!
Instead of the usual screenshot of our Trello board, I made this little screencapture video (embedded) to highlight our progress from the beginning of the term to the end. As you can see, our “done” column stretches aaaall the way to the bottom, and only a few cards were put on the backburner. Two of them, the Shoggoth model and facial rigging, will be done over winter break. The other two, prop modeling and environment detail work, are ongoing projects that will stretch through the next term while the animators finish animating. Overall, I’d call our progress successful!
Looking forward to presenting to the faculty tomorrow!