Task #1: Character Turntables
For our presentation this week, I wanted to make sure our characters were presented in the best way possible, so I created turntables of both the close-up facial details and full body wireframes. When I started animating the characters, however, I soon realized that a lot of the dynamic properties I tweaked to sculpt the hair did not translate well into animation. After fighting with the hair and fur systems for a while (the characters’ eyebrows kept flying away and Dyer’s hair completely exploded), I realized I had to backtrack a LOT and redo most of the hair. Sigh.
The good news: It all works, and is completely animatable! This took muuuuch longer than I budgeted though, so I had to table a few of my smaller deliverables. I was originally intending to texture the clothing modeled by Dave Maguire, but I decided it would be better to have some REALLY polished head turntables instead of half-assed clothing. I tweaked Dyer’s model to give him more pronounced eyelids, modeled eyelashes, painted additional texture maps (for more detail), and rendered it all out.
- Positive Stuff: I got some really positive feedback! Everybody seemed to love my changes, and the turntables rendered without any SSS flickering. And, perhaps most importantly, even the extreme close-ups rendered at only 3 minutes per frame.
- Problems / issues:
- Danforth’s fluffy hat texture took too long to render, so it was left out of the renders. It’ll be added in when it’s optimized a tad better.
- I didn’t re-UV Dyer after modifying his model, so his wireframes have seams down the center axis. I’ve already fixed this problem, but I didn’t fix the renders.
- Mustache could be a little fuller.
- No clothes… yet!
Hours: 15 😦 😦 😦
Task #2: The Presentation
I created the Keynote for our end-of-fall progress report presentation. I used the same template as our pitch, so thankfully putting everything together didn’t take too long. The assets themselves took a while, though — because so many of our deliverables include motion, I edited together a few videos from everyone’s assets and embedded them in the presentation.
- Positive Stuff: I’m really, really happy with all the progress everyone has made! Looking forward to showing it all off tomorrow. 🙂
- Problems / issues: None so far, but I suppose we’ll find out tomorrow what the faculty thinks.
LIST OF UPCOMING TASKS:
Before the end of the term, I’d like to have the following completed:
- Textured clothing
- Tweaked Dyer model (his eyes are slightly too feminine for my tastes)
- All textures, shaders, and character details DONE and ready to be imported into the rig